Friday, May 19, 2006

Rain

The rainy season is just around the corner.

In Toyama, rain is a very common occurrence, so it's hard at times to tell when the actual rainy season starts and ends. The official month is June, but May so far has been a dreary reminder of what's to come.

As I was walking to the cafeteria this morning to buy a juice box I got a strong whiff of the rain in the courtyard at my school. Smell is such an amazing sense, it can evoke strong memories and consequently, emotions in people. For one brief moment, no more than a millisecond I'm sure, I thought I smelled the spring rain from home. I immediately had flashbacks of the wet grass in our backyard; of morning walks to school in rubber boots; of colorful, stiff vinyl ponchos and short lived umbrellas.

The rain smells different here. It's a blend of salty sea, silty rice fields, densely packed earth and concrete. But the rain smells different everywhere, doesn't it? The spring rains in Greece were thick and comforting. In Ireland however, they were crisp and clean.

I haven't been home for a spring rain in 4 years now, yet I can still distinctly recall the scent of new grass (something I truly miss), wet poplar bark, and the dusty gravel in our driveway.

As I write this, a breeze is pushing the clouds out to sea, the rain is dissipating and soon the sun will begin to warm the air and the earth -boldly changing the scenery and more subtly, the scent.

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

just around the corner?? i thin it started today. blah blah blah.
at least it's good weather for studying and for pondering the purchase of a bike.
when you wanna go to toyama?

Linea said...

the bike is good!!

you know you want it!

c'mon, join the cool kids!

xox