Thursday, August 23, 2007

Nothing like a little shopping to get rid of the blues.

I've let a lot of things pile up this summer, just little errands that had to be done but were being put off because I had to do them in Japanese -like open up a new account for paying bills and changing the address over on my drivers license. Well, I got through 99% of them today and to reward myself I went to Takaoka for a bit of a shopping spree.

Takaoka has a big shopping centre with a movie theatre. It might not sound exciting to you, but I live an hour's drive from the nearest movie theatre. I happened to arrive just as Ocean's 13 was starting, so I took advantage of the 1000yen matinee ticket price (it's usually around 1700 -about 17 bucks) an went in. After a couple of hours in the comfort of an air conditioned theatre, I headed straight to the English section of the adjacent book store and managed to use up the rest of the coupons I had acquired a couple of years ago as 'thank you' money at an English camp.

I then slunk through the shoe stores (didn't buy a single pair!!!) and wandered down to the Body Shop for a few goodies (needed goodies of course, a girl has to have her moisturizer!). I splurged on some bath mats and a few other home decorating treats in two of my favorite 'home' stores before filling up my cup at Starbucks and filling up my belly with a Dutour's bagel sandwich. Sufficiently suffoncified, as my father would put it, I hauled my packages to my car and set off for home -listening to NPR podcasts (I've already caught up on all the CBC ones...) -in one of the best light shows I've seen in a while! It's been thundering and flashing all day, clear across the prefecture. I stopped only once to restock my alcohol and chocolate supply at yamaya - I've been out of Bailey's and red wine for a while and I found some Honey Ale that I'm looking forward to enjoying on this weekend's trip into the mountains.

A happy and relaxing time all by me-self, a great way to spend a summer evening.

No comments: