Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Farewell to the Nyuzen High School Teachers

It's over and done with. The official farewell from the teachers and to the teachers is now but a fond memory. The dinner started at 6:00. The principal got up and made an opening speech in which I was to follow with my own departing words. Thing is, I wasn't drunk yet, and neither were any of my teachers. I just didn't have the courage to get up and stumble through my speech quite yet. So I asked if I could say it later in the evening. Of course they complied with my request and so without further ado, the drinking began! -oh and the eating too....

The custom in Japan is to never pour your own drink and to never let someone else's glass become empty. At these kinds of parties, we sit at low tables (no chairs), and food is served on big plates (help yoursef-style). Sake (Japanese alcohol) and large bottles of beer are placed on the table and quickly emptied -usually people of lower status or rank pour for their sempais (seniors) but of course, guests of honor are always treated by everyone. I didn't move from my spot all night. Teachers were contstantly coming to me, beer in hand, to pour me a drink. Usually you take a drink from your glass first, allow them to fill it, and then take another drink. You have to be careful in this process not to take in too much each time. I've learned to take small sips but you can't fool everyone, and sometimes I'm forced to finish what's in my glass before it's filled again. Needless to say, after a day in the sun, the beer started working it's magic and I was totally ready to say my speech!!

But before I got up to talk I was presented with a thank you gift from my school.

I was handed a money envelope AND a wrapped shikishi (the square cardboard, gold rimmed plaque for messages). I knew right away what it was. I could feel the envy oozing from the other teachers in the room.

Here's the background:

One of the P.E. teachers here, who was at one time a national wrestling champ and the coach of the national team, is also a master calligrapher. He's pretty famous for both disciplines and all the teachers rave about how much his work is worth. They all say they could never afford anything that he has created (usually this calligraphy is done on sheets of paper and then mounted somehow, i.e. on a banner to hang on a wall. He's invited me to a few shodo (calligraphy) sessions in the past but he pretty much gave up on me as soon as he saw me hold the brush with my left hand. BUT, we share the PE teacher bond thing and I've always enjoyed listening to his stories about training camps in the States.

At one of our shodo sessions last year he put his hanko (official stamp that's used instead of a signature) on one of my measly attempts and the other teachers made sure to tell me how valuable that was. But secretly I was hoping that he'd give me something he'd created...

Lucky me!!

I was later told that I am the only ALT at Nyuzen High School that they know of who has recieved something from him.

This teacher had written a message in old kanji -the oldest style, as he explained. I don't have it with me right now and can't remember the exact reading something like 福如雲 and it basically means: Luck is in the clouds, luck comes from the clouds, luck is born in the clouds (these are all interpretations from different teachers). He said that most people can't read the kanji, but the image that it creates in people's minds is what is more important anyway.


Very very cool.


And then it was time for me to make my speech. I got up and apologized for my lack of ability first and then dove right in! I got a great response, I'd say something and get 'oh's and 'ah's, or 'subarashi' (wonderful). Each little reaction from the teachers gave me more confidence. I was thanking all of them for being so supportive, kind and generous to me and they were shouting 'you're welcome' in English! It was great.

I'll have to do this (make a speech) one more time for my students next week. Only I won't have any beer to get me through it!!! I told that to one of my senior teachers and he just laughed and said 'Gambatte' (do your best).

After the first party inevitablly comes the second party. Usually at a small local bar, usually a place with karaoke, and with my teachers, usually a place with hostesses...these are women who come and sit at the table with the men and pour them drinks, get them cigarettes, generally entertain. It's probably not that weird when it's only men... Sometimes I think they forget I'm a girl. Oh well. We had fun anyway. Me and 7 male teachers (the female teachers bailed on me -probably because they knew where we were going) took a big taxi bus to this place and took over the joint. We sang karaoke all night-in English and Japanese -all dedicated to me of course! Haha.

The last train home was at 11:30, so we had to finally pack it in. We stood outside in the rain, bowing to each over and over before I reminded them all that they were going to miss their train. They looked at me, with my bag and a 40 pound bouquet of flowers and panicked about how I was going to get home. I told them my bike was at the school and I was going to ride home. HA, that went over well. I then had to convince them that that was the BEST way. They reluctently let me go and I headed back to the school in the rain, sans umbrella (about a 10 minute walk). I got on my bike, balanced my flowers on the handlbars, and slooooooowly headed for home. My headlight on my bike is useless so I was using the force to guide me down Nyuzen's narrow, unlit roads. I managed to avoid the ditches and arrived safely at my apartment soaked to the bone, but slightly more sober than when I started. Over all it was a great, great evening.

Just think, I'll be doing it all over again in a few weeks at my WELCOME party!!!

No comments: