Friday, February 17, 2006

Saying good-bye

Ok, it's Friday. I've said good-bye to two classes of second years (grade 11s) this week. It's not fun. I has taken me a long time to get these guys to warm up to me. To not jump whenever they meet me around a corner or to not repeat everything I say and actually have a conversation with me. I was there when these guys started Grade 10 - they have grown a lot -both physically and socially. I hope that I've had some influence on the latter.

My only consolation is that I'll still be around until July and will hopefully be in Japan next March when they graduate. I wish I could introduce all of you to them. They put a smile on my face everyday - they're friendly, funny, awkward, goofy, smart, not so smart, shy, lazy, energetic - yeah, they're teenagers and I love them all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey girlie...you'll get through. just curious how different it is from saying good-bye to your swimmers when you coached...i know you were quite close to some of them also...

Linea said...

It's pretty much the same.
I think teachers and coaches get very possesive when it comes to their students and athletes. We also try to find our own 'fame' and recognition through them. Many coaches are very selfish about their athletes - and I know that I always refer to MY students and MY swimmers.

However, after coaching for so many years and now teaching as well, I have tried to develop a philosophy based on the idea that it's my job to create INDEPENDENDCE in whomever I'm teaching. I want to see kids who are capable of challenging and adapting to each new situation that comes along. Therefore, when it's time to say goodbye, whether to move on to university or to a higher level of swimming, my success is measured by their willingness to go.

If they don't feel confident or capable the I haven't done my job. If they feel they don't want another teacher or a new coach to bring them to a higer level, then I've failed.

It's a hard at times to keep this philosophy foremost in my mind, especially when I have students who are excelling - I feel like I want to keep their success all to myself. But saying goodbye is inevitable in this job. They can't stay 15 forever.

And if they did, then I wouldn't be able to touch the lives of the next group of students or athletes who come under my wing.

Anonymous said...

ha ha...very much like being a parent...it starts by letting them sleep in their own bed, in their own room (not always as easy as it sounds, but way important in the long run for their self confidence), and then you gotta let go sometimes for their own good (and i am still only at the playschool stage)...but it is really hard to trust other people with your baby...
anyways good for you...but don't be too hard on yourself either if they aren't ready to move on.