Saturday, August 04, 2007

I'm alive.

I hate to say it, but so far the move has not been a good one. For one thing, because it was handed over from one ALT to another, there was no inspection for cleanliness before I moved in. And even though the guy before me tried to 'clean', it's not clean. The biggest issue right now is the mold and mustiness. I've been airing the place out for two weeks now, but I still can't get the humidity down and the smell is still really strong.

I think I have the cockroach problem under control, but the spiders are KILLING me. One literally landed on my arm in the middle of the night, scurried down my blanket and into the corner. At first I didn't know what it was, but when I turned on the light (stupid move) what I saw was NOT PLEASANT. It was about 2 inches in diameter, brown and UGLY. I tried to kill it -bad mistake. I should have trapped it like I did the last one and let it go outside, but instead I chased it and it scurried under some clothes and then disappeared into a closet. Needless to say, I didn't sleep much last night.

And since I'm on a rant, my starter died in my car and it's in the shop again.

I will have internet by the end of the week and I'll post some photos and some happy/sad stories about K, J and M's adventures to Russia.

...see, if I were were with them it would have been J, K, L and M!!!

back to scrubbing...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel for you...very little worse (for me)than moving into a dirty place (done it twice now :(
Anyways...have you tried bleach to get rid of the mustiness? There are also other chemical cleaners (available here anyways) specifically for mold and mildews.
And you may want to look for a dehumidifier...Wes's sister has one in her basement which is chronically humid for some unknown (and worrying) reason. It sucks the water out of the air AND filters it...so that may remove some of your mustiness too....

Could give you advice on the roaches, but not so sure about the spiders. Reminds me of my visit to Austrailia though. I have a mosquito net that is not being used...should I send it? It would help you sleep at night at least.

Anonymous said...

There are excuses and there are no excuses. I hope life at 102 picks up....regrettably - the messy one X

Linea said...

the messy one has been redeemed by the oldest trick in the book...FLOWERS.

xox
you made my day.

the cockroach count is down and i killed the monster spider two nights ago.

feeling better.