Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Decision Time

Every year at this time we ALTs (Assistant Language Teachers) have to make a decision to stay and re-contract for one more year, or to move on to (hopefully) greener pastures. This is the 4th time I've had the deadline looming over me.

In the past I have had mixed feelings about this process. I've signed the official document "NO" and had intentions of leaving, only to change my mind and basically beg to stay in my job for another year. The year after that, the decision was easier as I was in love with my job and my life. Then I had the option to stay another year but I in order to do it I had to switch positions -change is good~ (in moderation). Now I have to decide whether or not to finish the full 5 years as JET ALT or get outta dodge.

Part of the issue is that I'm not sure what I want to do IF is don't stay. Staying is the easy part! I know what I'll be doing, what I can do and what I want to do here. If I go...well, of course there are options, but making a commitment to any of them is not appealing at the moment.

What will one more year here be for me? After next year I will HAVE to end my time as a JET. Will I want to stay longer? Will I finally want to go home or anywhere else for that matter.

Ugh. Where is my crystal ball?

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

i know the feeling...until it just hit me one day! it's in there somewhere. don't force it, just relax into it and it will reveal itself. OR bring the Tarot cards to Koshi on Friday night and I'll do a reading! :)

Anonymous said...

oh i wish i was there to witness this tarot card reading!!! do one for me while you're at it. I'LL DO WHATEVER IT SAYS!